Hearty ‘Bolognese-Style’ Plant Based Sauce
Pasta with a hearty red sauce is one of those simple and delicious dishes that I could eat several times a week. I used to love a good bolognese sauce back in the day, and luckily I can still enjoy a simple, veganized version (because everything can be vegan-ized!)
This is a modified (plant based) bolognese sauce, great for every night of the week. And while fresh tomatoes are always preferable, for the sake of speed and convenience, I’m using canned tomatoes for this recipe.
When I make this sauce, I make a lot of it, so that I can freeze the extra sauce in glass containers for future meals, to have any night of the week.
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4, 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 – 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, organic
1 – 28 oz can tomato puree, organic
1 – 15 oz can tomato sauce, organic
1 – 16 oz package Beyond Meat Beyond Beef Plant-Based Ground
Salt & pepper, to taste
(Sauteed mushrooms, optional)
- In non-stick skillet, saute one large onion (finely chopped) with olive oil until lightly browned.
- In same skillet, saute finely chopped garlic (4,5 cloves).
- In large sauce pan, coat with olive oil and add 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, 28 oz can tomato puree and 15 oz can tomato sauce.
- Add sauteed onion and garlic to tomato sauce mixture.
- Add 3-4 big sprigs of fresh basil to sauce mixture.
- Simmer on low, stirring occasionally for about an hour, using splatter screen.
- In non-stick skillet (one used for onions), brown a 16 oz package of ground Beyond Beef (per package directions).
- Once cooked, add ground Beyond Beef to tomato sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over cooked pasta of your choice (just check ingredients as some pasta brands have egg in them.)
Add fresh basil as garnish (optional).
Sauce is also great with a good French bread for dipping.
I also like to saute some mushrooms as a delicious topping to the sauce and pasta.
Pour the remaining sauce into glass containers to be refrigerated or frozen for future meals.